The IIS URL Rewrite Module 2.0 – RTW is available for download. IIS URL Rewrite v2.0 is an incremental release that includes all the features from version 1.1, and adds extensibility support and outbound response rewriting. More specifically, v2.0 can be used to:
- Express complex URL rewriting logic by using custom rewrite providers written in .NET.
- Replace the URLs generated by a web application in the response HTML with a more user friendly and search engine friendly equivalent
- Fix up the content of any HTTP response by using regular expression pattern matching.
- Modify HTTP request and response headers and IIS server variables.
For the complete list of features available in this version, refer to Using URL Rewrite Module 2.0.
Install the URL Rewrite 2.0 – RTW
To install the URL Rewrite 2.0, use the download links at the module’s home page at http://www.iis.net/expand/urlrewrite. Note that this is a final, production ready release that is officially supported by Microsoft.
- If a previous version of URL Rewrite Module, such as v1.0 and v1.1, is already installed then it will be upgraded to the v2.0;
- If an RC version of the URL Rewrite Module 2.0 is already installed, then it will be upgraded to RTW version.
Install the URL Rewrite Extensibility Samples
An important new feature in this release is the support for custom rewrite providers that can be written in .NET. Custom rewrite providers can be used to implement complex rewrite logic which cannot be expressed by using built-in rewriting functionality.
The URL Rewrite Extensibility Samples include the .NET assemblies and the source code implementing the following providers:
- DbProvider – this provider can be used to retrieve rewrite mappings from a SQL Server database table by executing a stored procedure;
- FileMapProvider – this provider can be used to retrieve rewrite mappings stored in a text file;
- FileContainsProvider – this provider can be used to check if any string in a text file is a substring of the provider’s input string.
Download the URL Rewrite Extensibility Samples from MSDN Code Gallery.
The following documentation about URL Rewrite 2.0 is available on IIS.net:
- Using Custom Rewrite Providers with URL Rewrite Module
- Developing a Custom Rewrite Provider for URL Rewrite Module
- Creating Outbound Rules for URL Rewrite Module
- Reverse Proxy with URL Rewrite 2.0 and Application Request Routing
- Using Outbound Rules to insert Web Analytics Tracking Code
- Setting HTTP Request Headers and Server Variables
- Modifying HTTP Response Headers
- SEO Rule Templates
- User Friendly URL – rule template
- Reverse Proxy – Rule Template
- URL Rewrite Module v2.0 configuration reference
Also, visit the URL Rewrite Forum on IIS.NET if you have run into any problems when using the module or have questions or suggestions.
ruslany on March 11th 2010 in URLRewrite