Make WordPress faster on IIS with WinCache 1.1

This post used to contain PHP code for object-cache.php file. This code has been removed because it is out of date and has bugs. Instead, the latest version of WinCache Object Cache plugin from wordpress.org should be used.

This post explains how to improve performance of WordPress on Windows by using the WinCache Extension 1.1 – Beta for PHP. You probably already know that just by enabling the WinCache extension and without any code changes it is possible to get a significant increase in WordPress performance – this is described in details in PHP on Windows: The WinCache 1.0 Benchmark. But this can be taken even further by using the user cache API’s available in WinCache 1.1 release.

To configure WordPress to use WinCache user cache API’s download the WinCache Object Cache Backend plugin, extract the object-cache.php file from it and put it in the /wp-content/ directory of your WordPress site.

That should be all you need to do. To verify that the WordPress is actually using the object cache use the WinCache Statistics Script and check the “User and Session Cache” page:

ruslany on March 5th 2010 in PHP, WordPress

PoorFairAverageGoodExcellent (4 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)

30 Responses to “Make WordPress faster on IIS with WinCache 1.1”

1. Gravatar ImagePHP on Windows « Coder Kung Fu! responded on 07 Mar 2010 at 8:49 am #

2. Gravatar ImageChris responded on 16 Mar 2010 at 7:32 am #

Odd problem with this, when i enable this it caches i see it working good, but my plugins page after installing or deleting a plugin still shows/doesnt show the plugin i just modified, is their a way to fix this?

3. Gravatar Imageruslany responded on 18 Mar 2010 at 1:10 pm #

@Chris: this looks like a side effect or a bug in the object cache implementation in wordpress. I am not aware of an easy way to fix this. I suspect that the plugins page will show correct information once the cached data has expired or the IIS worker process recycles.

4. Gravatar ImageChris responded on 19 Mar 2010 at 4:40 pm #

ya but its driving me nuts lol, i install plugin, have to recycle the pool, then the plugin page updates LOL, any ideas on a workaround, i love it it makes the site really fly but getting things up and running is a beast with this, i guess i cud disable the cache-object every time i want to do plugin or admin maintenance but thats also kinda dificult, wish their was an easy way to disable and enable it lol

5. Gravatar ImageWordpress, IIS, Wincache « Кокоевсёзелёное responded on 24 Mar 2010 at 8:40 am #

[...] Wincache 1.1.0305.0 (бета) и object-cache.php там же получаем ~30 requests per [...]

6. Gravatar ImageChris responded on 26 Mar 2010 at 5:01 am #

hey ruslany, can you post the code u used for that wincache stats on the right?

wud be cool to have that in the dashboard widgets.

7. Gravatar Imageruslany responded on 29 Mar 2010 at 5:17 pm #

@Chris: here it is:

<?php if ( function_exists('wincache_ocache_fileinfo') ) : ?>
    <li>
    <h2>WinCache</h2>
    <div id="wincache">
    <ul>
    <?php $wincache_stats = wincache_ocache_fileinfo(); ?>
    <li class="noimage"><strong><?php echo $wincache_stats['total_file_count']; ?></strong> cached PHP files</li>
    <li class="noimage"><strong><?php echo $wincache_stats['total_hit_count']; ?></strong> cache hits</li>
    <li class="noimage"><strong><?php echo $wincache_stats['total_miss_count']; ?></strong> cache misses</li>
    <li class="noimage"><a href="http://ruslany.net/2010/03/more-performance-improvements-in-wincache-1-1-beta/">Learn More...</a></li>
    </ul>
    </div>
    </li>
    <?php endif; ?>

8. Gravatar ImageManuel responded on 31 May 2010 at 7:54 am #

What is with the enablecache=treu setting in wp-config.php

Must this flag be true when using the api?

9. Gravatar Imageruslany responded on 01 Jun 2010 at 10:22 am #

@Manuel: I am not sure how that flag relates to this. For example I set it to true and to false and it did not make a difference for me. Currently on my site I have it set to false and the object cache works fine.

10. Gravatar ImageWordPress does Windows - The WordPress Podcast responded on 01 Jun 2010 at 3:40 pm #

[...] SQL Server for the database store as shown on sites like oddlyspecific.com for example with performance enhancements. Josh also highlighted some of the steps Microsoft is taking to make deployment of [...]

11. Gravatar ImageWordpress Podcast | Josh Holmes responded on 01 Jun 2010 at 9:22 pm #

[...] result in a 3x or so improvement in performance in PHP on IIS. RuslanY has a great post on getting WinCache support into WordPress. And if you want to see how well it’s working, check out this module that shows you WinCache [...]

12. Gravatar ImageMmos responded on 13 Jun 2010 at 3:37 pm #

Hi, wincache is really very cool, but one issue I am seeing when I enable the object cache is the pending comments count (and also the plugin count) in the wordpress admin do not update.

I remember there was the same issue with wordpress 2.7.1 and an opcode object cache we were using at the time, and it eventually got fixed (it was working fine for us with eaccelerator opcode cache)

Any chance this could be fixed for wordpress 2.9.2 and wincache object cache?

Thanks.

13. Gravatar Imageruslany responded on 14 Jun 2010 at 3:44 pm #

Hi Mmos, when it worked for you on 2.7.1 – did you use exact same code for the object-cache.php as in here? I also noticed that the plugin count does not get updated. Apparently all the items that wordpress puts into the the cache do not expire. But I did not know that it was different in 2.7.1.

14. Gravatar ImageMmos responded on 14 Jun 2010 at 6:51 pm #

15. Gravatar ImageMmos responded on 14 Jun 2010 at 6:52 pm #

Also that version worked with both 2.7.1 and 2.9.2 for us.

16. Gravatar ImageMmos responded on 23 Jun 2010 at 7:56 am #

Hi, any update on getting the object cache to work with wordpress?

Also was just wondering, if wincache’s user cache is enabled (vide object-cache) in wordpress, then would you say using a plugin like wp super cache with iis output caching is no longer needed?

Basically my question is does wincache perform as well as iis output caching, or would you still recommend using both?

We’re hosting a site with 12M+ page views per month so I’m trying to squeeze the most out of our wordpress/iis install.

17. Gravatar ImageTicket #14526 (If object cache is enabled then plugin list does not get updated after a …) created | Wordpress Services responded on 03 Aug 2010 at 3:46 pm #

[...] [...]

18. Gravatar Imageruslany responded on 03 Aug 2010 at 4:05 pm #

I have opened a wordpress ticket regarding this problem. It looks like this requires change in the WordPress code.

19. Gravatar ImageDerek responded on 02 Oct 2010 at 3:10 am #

Could you please tell me how to protect “wincache stats php” file with WP admin auth?

And how to integrate wincache stats in admin panel?

Thanks.

20. Gravatar Imageruslany responded on 05 Oct 2010 at 11:49 pm #

Hi Derek, I think this plugin does what you are looking for.

21. Gravatar ImageWordPress on SQL Server – WinCache for PHP | Harolds Homepage responded on 04 Jan 2011 at 5:25 pm #

[...] In March 2010, Ruslan Yakushev (Microsoft’s Program Manager on the Microsoft IIS team in charge of FastCGI and PHP support) wrote an interesting article about implementing WinCache for WordPress on IIS. [...]

22. Gravatar ImageManuel responded on 06 Jan 2011 at 10:22 am #

I don’t have a file calles object-cache.php in this directory.

Can i create it with the code posted here and wordpress will use it automatically?
    Any side effects?

23. Gravatar ImageManuel responded on 07 Jan 2011 at 12:10 am #

To Replay my own Message:

Just create the file, it will be used if it’s there.

24. Gravatar Imageruslany responded on 07 Jan 2011 at 9:46 am #

Hi Manuel, yes you are right: just drop the file there and it will be used. I have been using this file on my site for about a year now and the only side effect that I noticed is the plugin count does not get updated – I have opened a wordpress ticket for that. But that in my opinion is a minor problem comparing to a huge benefit in performance that I gain with wordpress object cache.

25. Gravatar ImageManuel responded on 10 Jan 2011 at 1:00 pm #

I think i have found another problem. I am not able to update Plugins / to see the new version after the update.

- I get an information about a about for a plugin
    - i click “update it”
    - the update starts

After the update i can still see the the old version and “there is a new version” information for some minutes.

26. Gravatar Imageruslany responded on 10 Jan 2011 at 8:51 pm #

Hi Manuel, yes, that is related to the problem that I have reported to the wordpress team: the cached data for plugins is not refreshed after a plugin is updated. Because of that the plugin count is not updated and the plugin is still showing the old version.

27. Gravatar ImageManuel responded on 11 Jan 2011 at 1:59 pm #

Okay, so i can report another issue:

When there are planed posts for the future they are visible as planed but at the selected time they don’t set to visible.
    When updating them later they appear on the blog.

Strange issue.

28. Gravatar ImageHydn responded on 11 May 2011 at 10:20 am #

Now that W3-total-cache now supports wincache:
    (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/w3-total-cache/)

Should your WinCache Object Cache Backend plugin still be used or would this duplicate things?

Thanks

29. Gravatar Imageruslany responded on 11 May 2011 at 11:47 am #

I have not used the w3-total-cache. I will check it out and let you know.

30. Gravatar Imageruslany responded on 13 May 2011 at 6:41 pm #

Checked with the w3-total-cache plugin author today. According to him the w3tc provides the superset of the functionality of this plugin, so having them both will duplicate things. I suggest that if you use w3tc plugin then do not use the wincache-object-cache plugin.